Friday, February 5, 2010

Is it true that the engines in Honda Accords manufactured in the '80s 'last forever'?

I was told that regardless of what else went wrong with these cars, the engines were precious...I know I got my '86 Mercury Grand Marquis up to 350,000...and I wasn't even having much maintenance done.Is it true that the engines in Honda Accords manufactured in the '80s 'last forever'?
ive got two cars, an '84 volvo 242 with 200,000 miles and an'88 accord with 220,000, they both purr like kittens, but are rough arround the edges. if you like high miles, google search 1,000,000 mile volvo, you might be surprised by what you seeIs it true that the engines in Honda Accords manufactured in the '80s 'last forever'?
5
the engines are the best part of those accords... and they are not bad in all other areas too!





between myself, a couple close friends, and parents I've been responsible for the maintenance and repairs of 5 86-89 models at once.





very good cars, cheap to own, somewhat expensive to repair but only if you are paying someone else to do it.





one thing i liked about mine was that right there on the air cleaner it says ';change oil every 7,500 miles';





i've got hundreds of reasons to say this, and have said it many many times before


';Honda is the best engine manufacturer on the planet.';
I got a 83 honda and it is still alive and kickin in 08'
There is a reason Honda's have the best resale value ( I work for an auto auction) While there bodies sucked during the eighties there motors where bullet proof. Nowadays there bodies have come around and not succumed to rust but there quality has somewhat staggered. However I believe some hondas today have combined the best of both worlds. So would i buy a honda yes. I would look into a subaru first. There kinda the unknown reliable car.
I Do not know forever but I know I see a lot of them still on the road around here.





They are made so much better than American Cars are.
not forever but they will last longer than the majority of other cars.
hell muthaphucckken nawl.
No, because nothing on this earth lasts forever.
Probably because those cars are made in Japan. Good job with your grand marquis though. Don't forget to change the transmission fluid too and radiator fluid.
I would like to know who told you that??
Pretty much true.
my dad has a 1959 chevy impala with the original engine still in it and it runs like a brand new car.
Properly cared for, most of the Civic and Accord power trains were bullet proof. Just last week I saw a well preserved original '71 Civic hatchback in a parking lot.





Granted some of the bodies were rust buckets, but the mechanicals were built for the long haul.
Mine rusted death before the donkey gave up.
no. sadly notthing last forever.
As far as machines go, nothing lasts forever. It may be true however that this engine is built very well and will last for a long time.





Your Marquis was and still is a beautiful automobile. I remember that car and it was state-of-the-art at the time and rode like as upon a cloud. Mercury, being of the Lincoln family were well made cars. It almost surprises me that you put that many miles on it. That kind of quality is what Mercedes is known for. I always wanted the car you had and regret that I never did.





You can look up statistics on the Accord. It has a proven track record and in fact I have a Hybrid Civic now. It is a good looking car and gets fantastic gas mileage. I'm sure the Accord is a step above it. It must be, because it is the #1 car to be stolen. That alone might tell you that it is in demand for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment